SENATOR HATCH: WHY HAS NOTHING CHANGED?????
When it comes to our children, it is sometimes very difficult to know where to put an article or new information because it crosses many lines. You have child abuse by parents or those overseeing them in daycares, Child Protective Services, Pedophilia, Child Pornography, Human Trafficking and the legislators who for the most part know nothing about a bill they pass - only that some lobbyist wants it because he is getting paid and so is the legislator. The physical and mental abuse of our children is ruining them physically, emotionally and mentally along with ruining families and setting the path for it to continue for generations.
IT SHOULD NEVER HURT
TO BE A CHILD!
- On average, children living in foster care will have over 3 placement changes during their stay in the system.
- While in care, 65 % of foster youth experience 7 or more school changes (K -12).
- 50% of children in foster care have chronic medical problems.
- An estimated 70% of children have siblings who are also brought into foster care. But all too often they are separated from their siblings removing any semblance of family and support.
- As they enter adulthood they are faced with more barriers:
- 1 out of 5 will become homeless.
- 1 out of 3 will live at or below the poverty level.
- 1 out of 4 will be incarcerated in the first two years
- 1 out of 4 will be diagnosed with PTSD.
- 3 out 4 young women will be pregnant before age 21
- On average, for every young person who ages out of the foster care system, taxpayers and community members pay $300,000 over that person’s lifetime in social costs such as public assistance, incarceration, and other community costs.
MODERN CHILD WELFARE - Foster care is seen as an "industry" - a business where children become a commodity that profits doctors, lawyers, judges, social workers, advocates, and other organizations, an industry that can only exist by taking other people’s children, an industry that damages the very children it purports to be helping. The trauma inflicted on children by the foster care industry is inexcusable.
Molly McGrath Tierney, the former Director of the Baltimore City Department of Social Services stated, "we’re digging a wound so deep, I don’t believe we have a way of measuring it. This dismantling of families – it has enormous consequences. Kids that grow up outside of families – they don’t master the things that can only be learned in that context, like who to trust, how to love, and how to take care of yourself, and that frankly does more damage than the abuse and neglect that brought the kid to my attention in the first place".
The Corrupt Business of Child Protective Services - Nancy Schaefer
SENATOR ORIN HATCH'S LETTER TO THE MENTOR NETWORK
CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE FACT SHEET
Article written in 2001 about what a "horrible place Fl was if YOU were a Foster Child!
MOVE THE TAB ON THE RIGHT DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE THE ARTICLE.